Thursday, October 05, 2006

size question

I have a question about how you all are deciding which size to make. How much stretch does one want in the hip? I am making this skirt stealthily for my SIL (so I can't ask her to try it on as I go), but according to her waist measurement she should be wearing an XS, and her hip is slightly wider than the M measurement. Should I make a small (since it sits lower than the waist I think this would still fit) and add a few more shaping rows? How tight is too tight do y'all think?

Actually, when I get around to making a second one for me, I'm going to have the same problem--my waist measurement would be two sizes smaller than my hip as well (of course, I'm not starting from the XS). Tips? Thoughts? Anyone?

4 Comments:

At 3:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well since noone has commented, I have decided not to make this project. Just have a lot of doubts about saggin effect. It's really hot design but until somebody proves otherwise, I am going to hold off.

 
At 3:45 PM, Blogger velmalikevelvet said...

hi anonymous, sorry to hear you are dropping out. you *might* want to give people more than 6 hours to respond to posts, though. you never know what might turn up, suggestion-wise.

 
At 10:17 AM, Blogger Amy Claybaugh said...

An update on my sizing thoughts: my intended recipient is one of those younger women who likes to wear stuff really low, so I'm guessing if the waist is a bit too big that would be better than the hips too tight. I'm going for the medium (unless I change my mind again before casting on--my yarn is in the mail). Good thing I bought an extra skein Just In Case.

Anonymous, I guess you can continue to blogstalk us and see if our results show that the pattern can actually work for women of all sizes in a variety of yarns (I've chosen to use Merino Style from KnitPicks--I hope I end up liking it since it is for a gift).

 
At 12:34 PM, Blogger Suzanne said...

Hi Amy! I have a similar sizing issue: 25" waist and 37" hips. However, if I've read the pattern correctly, it is a slightly dropped waist skirt. You will be able to fine tune waist placement with the elastic. As for the issue of snugness around the hips, I will probably allow 2-3" ease for mine, but I shall also be making some other changes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home