Saturday, September 16, 2006

Yarn Substitutions

Hi,

I can't wait to start this skirt, but first I will have to find a yarn I like. I was all set to order some Bamboo as in the pattern, but I really don't like the colors. Ok, don't get me wrong, the colors are great but for me none of them cries out "skirt". I was looking for a pewter or charcoal or maybe even a sand or oatmeal kind of color. The brown would be great, but I have 4 brown skirts (all different materials and shades, but I really don't need a fifth brown skirt, LOL).

So, does anyone have ideas as to substitutions? I was thinking Euroflax, but any suggestion would be welcome.

Until I have found the right thing, I'll keep plugging away at my UFO's and continue searching cyber space (no LYS anywhere here, unfortunately!)

6 Comments:

At 9:43 AM, Blogger velmalikevelvet said...

hi bettina~ i'm contemplating a yarn sub too. i'm worried that the static properties of the bamboo might exaggerate the sagging effect in the butt region. maybe a blend... maybe w/ silk for drape? hmmmm.... not sure yet. i'll keep thinkin' on it.

 
At 4:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, I am worrying about that too. I don't want not to be able to sit when I am wearing the skirt. What kind of yarn would minimize stretch/sagging/and static effect?

 
At 7:02 PM, Blogger velmalikevelvet said...

i emailed the designer this weekend, inviting her to participate in the kal. maybe we can get yarn sub ideas from her...

 
At 3:02 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I, too am comtemplating yarn subs.

 
At 7:51 AM, Blogger velmalikevelvet said...

i sent a second email, to the manufacturer of a wool/tencel blend yarn, asking if they thought it might be suitable. waiting to hear back on that, too. maybe lining the skirt would help this also? although my lined skirts tend to ride up...

 
At 8:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, this is Ashley Moncrief, the skirt designer. To Velma: I really would be extremely cautious about using a yarn with a moderate silk content because it does have a tendency to grow and 'stretch'. Elann.com has two Peruvian Collection yarns, one in alpaca and one in wool in worsted weight that come in several different colors. Remember that I knitted with a worsted weight yarn at a smaller gauge to help prevent sagging. I have never used a Peruvian Collection yarn, so I don't know exactly how it will perform. Another yarn you could use is called Zara by Filatura di Crosa. It is absolutely one of my favorite yarns. It is an extrafine Merino Wool that feels wonderful. I think it would be a good option. If you don't use it for this, at least try it out on something else in the future. I think it's the best Merino out there (that I've come across). Good luck.

Ashley

 

Post a Comment

<< Home