Friday, September 29, 2006

I must have lost my mind

Hi Everyone! This is all Laetitia's fault. I have lurked at her blog sporadically since sometime last year because the gal has great taste in knitted fashions and she wears them well. Anyway, I followed her link to IC and, next thing I knew, my man was drooling over my shoulder enquiring as to whether there should not be some internet blocks on displaying so much bare instep when attired in such a skirt and "when are you going to make one like that?". It did no good to point out that, at 50, I might be a little mature to be flouncing about with a bow on my butt. Whatever. It may well be my last chance to wear such a skirt without looking totally ridiculous. While I was wiping the drool off the keyboard, he put in a further request that it be made of silk in a vibrant blue. The first thing that came to mind was Fiesta La Luz in Bluebonnet. I have no experience with this yarn and would welcome some feedback. Not yet content, the man then ventured that I should work a discreet eyelet pattern to bracket the diamonds formed by the ribbon, creating the illusion that one might get a peek at something more (the eyelets would actually sit under the ribbon until movement let them flash briefly). By this time, my jaw had gone totally slack. Who knew that the man could have so many consecutive thoughts about fashion? When I ventured that bamboo might be better than silk for preventing sag, he responded firmly: "they make parachutes out of silk for a reason!". So, there you have it. I wish I had a local source for La Luz so I could do some swatching before committing to a skirt's worth. Thanks for letting me join and I look forward to seeing everyone's progress.

4 Comments:

At 6:03 PM, Blogger velmalikevelvet said...

hi suzanne! you and your man sound like FUN. love his eyelet suggestion; that's a man who knows what he wants! and i like the idea of a 50 yo wearing this skirt! didn't you hear? oprah says that 50 is the new 30!

as for silk, you might read the caution that ashley, the pattern designer, made in an earlier post. she reminded me that silk has a tendency to bag. just a thought. good luck w/ yarn selection.

 
At 2:35 PM, Blogger Suzanne said...

Yes, I had noted Ashley's caution about sagging silk and, indeed, all literature that I have on the fiber tends to confirm that. I've tried the 'old style' SWTC Bamboo for a couple of projects and never got past the swatching stage because I hated the prickly feel of it. Haven't tried the new and improved version yet. At this point, I'm tempted to try either Ornaghi Filati bamboo, or Yarn Cloud Bamboo, both of which come in a vibrant blue.

 
At 5:56 PM, Blogger op said...

Hey Suzanne,

Being fifty is no excuse for not flouncing!! I am 56 and ready to give it a go! I went thru a really 'old' and fulffy stage, now I do not care, my husband loves me so I am good enuf!! op

 
At 5:48 AM, Blogger Bettina said...

Hi Suzanne,

I love the idea. What you might want to do is change gauge and knit a lot tighter with smaller needles and then line it in flesh colored silk or make a flesh colored slip for underneath. That way, the eyelets can be as suggestive as you want, LOL.

The slip should also prevent sagging.

Of course, do not wear the skirt to a 5 hour Wagner Opera, but maybe a little cocktail reception.....then sag can be kept to a minimum!

I am still vacillating whether to use silk or not, since I have no decent source of Bamboo anywhere here in Europe and I don't like the colors of the Southwest Trading Bamboo for me.

Have fun and please... post pictures of the finished product, preferably with man drooling next to you........

 

Post a Comment

<< Home